The beautiful aroma of freshly sharpened pencils fills the air at the beginning of the school year. Trepidation and anticipation will make young hearts beat just a little faster as they pull on un-scuffed shoes and button up freshly pressed school clothes.
In Bolivia the school year runs from February to November. While the kids from our orphanage attend school on scholarship there are still some items that we need to purchase to prepare them for school. This is where you come in.
Consumables we can always use:
- Colored pencils
- Glue sticks
- Colored paper
- Graph paper notebooks, small and large
- Folders with pockets or elastic straps
- Pencils, regular and red
- Coloring books
- Books in Spanish and / or English
Even though our next school year begins in February we can be planning ahead. If you would like to send us something following are the detailed instructions about how to do that if you so wish. Please follow these instructions carefully so that we can avoid time consuming and costly processing at the customs office. Thank you!
- WEIGHT. Up to 4 lbs per package (2 kilos) maximum. Accumulated items weighing more than 4 lbs can be split between packages. If one single item is more than 4 lbs we have different sending instructions.
- NAME. The package must be addressed to DaRonn Washington OR Angie Washington, not both.
- ADDRESS. We prefer that you send the items through regular post (not delivery services). There are many reasons for this. Simply trust me that regular post works the best. You will notice that there is no zip code number on this address, this is not an accident. With dark permanent ink write:
- DECLARE. A simple categorical list of the items is sufficient, no need for details. Declare the total value of the items to be no more than $20. If you list it as more expensive then the package is held in customs and the process to release it is time consuming and costly.
- TIME. Allow 10 days to 10 weeks for delivery.
- CONTENTS. Things that MUST NOT be sent are: coins, cash bills, checks, unbagged creams and liquids.
- WRAPPING. Random inspections of the package are performed. Suspect items are opened and at times confiscated without explanation. Please do not gift wrap the items so that during an inspection the inspectors can see the contents at a glance.
Thank you for considering helping our Dreamers receive a top-notch education.